Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 In Review

It's raining outside.  Just before I opened the blog to write this update there was a flash of lightning and a crack of thunder.  The storm and the temp has melted most of the snow, and the water pooling in the backyard.  The snowman that I made a few weeks back:
Snowman at its height
Is now looking far more depressing...
A metaphor for the year?
In preparation for this post I started reading over the blog over the last year, checking out the posts and the events, and trying to create a coherent picture of what I did.  Trying to figure out what I achieved.  What I wanted to achieve.  Whatever.  I went back and read my 2009 In Review post, and laughed when I saw how the blog started:
"All through New Years Eve and the last week leading up to and following the start of the year, there has been an overflowing amount of cynicism and anger to the end of the decade. And I'd be lying if I didn't mention that I joined in with the choruses berating 2009 as being a terrible year."
Then after taking the time to review the year it became clear that maybe 2009 wasn't as bad as I thought it was.  I ran a marathon, I had a kick-ass internship, and I had a lot of great traveling memories with friends.  So I figured I'd sit down and try to do this for 2010.  Here we go:

January started with marathon training, and the beginning of the rewriting process for The Rider.  I started my last semester at the University of Michigan, which meant commuting a couple days a week back and forth to Ann Arbor.

Rust In Peace
Everything started to take a nosedive in February though.  Senioritis took on a whole new level of painful unfocused lack of success.  Kate, my jeep, died.  And more rejection notes for short stories.  On the bright side I did fly out to Los Angeles.

March was spent in Los Angeles.  Met the guys who did Burma VJ (an Oscar Nominated Documentary).  When I came back it was back into school, which is exactly what happened all through April.

May was the big one.  I graduated from the University of Michigan with my Masters of Science in Information, and I entered the land of adulthood (sort of).  I saw Obama speak at my commencement.  I also ran the Madison marathon.



In June we had to put Nikita, my dog, down.  She had a very aggressive bone cancer in her front left leg.  It sucked.  I got very drunk.
I miss her
In July I had the one and only interview of my job hunt in a quiet, northern-Wisconsin town.  It was for a director position at the Chilton Public Library.  I didn't get the job.

Homegrown, the open mic night that my friend Zack Bower headed up, ended in August.

My job at the Knowledge Navigation Center ended in September.  I wasn't exactly fired.  I didn't exactly quit.  Duke and I decided the correct word for it was I "expired."

With nothing really left for me in Michigan, I bought my ticket to Portland and packed my room up in October.  It was sort of a last minute "going for it on 4th and Long" kind of Hail Mary.  The day after I bought the ticket I got a job dumped in my lap at the Society for College and University Planning.  I also ran a great half marathon in Midland, MI.

November has pretty much flown by, working at SCUP, and December has been the holidays.  I started editing The Rider again after taking so much time off of it.  I also failed to do any damage whatsoever in NaNoWriMo this year.

Ending the 2009 post it was full of hope for 2010.  Grand plans to graduate, get published, get a girlfriend, a job.  To make a mark that made 2010 a memorable year.  Other than graduate (and sort of the job) none of it happened.  I didn't finish editing the Rider.  I dealt with family loss, vehicle loss, financial loss.  Things moved further and further behind the eight-ball until by October I was starting to make a desperate lunge for any sort of little victory I could find.  To say that it's rock-bottom is of course hyperbolic, but to say that it's been a good year is a little bit of bull.

What I do know is that 2010 sucked, but 2011 is going to be better.  It has to be.  Right?

1 comment:

  1. Saw a quote from Joseph Campbell a few days ago: "Destruction before creation." Here's hoping you can use what you've been through in 2010 to create purpose in 2011. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete