Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Beat Goes On

Like much of the Midwest, we had snow yesterday.  Not enough to make the snowman I was intending to build, nor to have a snowball fight, but enough so that while I was driving around I was in a Christmas spirit, and out came the Bing Crosby and the Rat Pack, and the ever wonderful Ultra Lounge collection.

Today the snow is gone, and it's raining instead.  When I ran the lake it felt like late February, or a March that came in like a lion, and not the two weeks shy of May that it really is.

Except for the occasional game of Dominion with the Coltons, or an after-hours movie with Todd at the local AMC, I've been mired in the swamps of rewrites, and Script Frenzy, and working, and job hunting.

First the rewrites:  I'm attempting to again bring a draft of The Rider to a close.  Back in March I made a decisively deep cut into the story, losing a group of minor characters and a couple chapters worth of story.  Since then I was rewriting a chapter every couple days, hoping to use the relentlessness of the speed to bring draft 3 of the novel to a quick close.  Maybe get ready to start shopping it.  I've stalled because my attention got taken away with Script Frenzy, but will be hopping back on that here in a couple days.

Script Frenzy is a crazy sprint in the vein of NaNoWriMo.  The goal is to write 100 screenplay pages in the course of 30 days (April).  That's 3.33 pages a day for those slow on math, like myself.  After spending half the month developing a script, I'm working to hammer out most of the script over the course of the last couple weeks.  Head on over to my Script Frenzy profile page for details on it.

A week ago I was at a workshop at Michigan State University for iRODS (Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System), a database system that we're talking about integrating into the electronic library at my job.  Events like that make me realize how out of my element I am with technology, but also how much I've picked up in the six months I've been at my job.  I'll be posting more about it at my professional blog.

And on that note, I'm still deep in the job hunt, with something like 30 active applications, and already 20 rejections this year alone.  Keeping the chin up, but this sort of thing gets wearing on the ego.

I'm going to Chicago this weekend for the Bunny Rock 5k.  I'm hoping to finish a large portion of my Script Frenzy on the train down and back, leaving me open to work on the novel rewrites next week.

Now back to the work grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment